Do I Need a Food Hygiene Certificate To Sell Sweets?

If you have a business selling confectionery, you might be wondering if you need a food hygiene certificate to sell sweets. Whilst it’s not a requirement under law, it is strongly recommended by organisations like the FSA. You Also need to make sure you are complying with UK food safety law even when selling foods you’ve not made on premises. One of the easiest ways to do this is to get a food hygiene certificate.

image of a business selling sweets from lots of containers
Getting a food hygiene certificate for your sweet selling business is an easy way to understand and show compliance with UK food safety laws.

You need to register as a food business 28 days before you intend to open a business selling sweets. This is the case even if all the sweets you will be selling are pre-packaged. Although not a legal requirement, it makes good sense to carry out a food hygiene course as well. Not complying with UK Food Laws is one of the main reasons so many businesses are heavily fined. By earning yourself a food hygiene certificate, you can be confident with the very latest legislation and your responsibility to your consumers.

Do I Need a Hygiene Certificate For Selling Sweets?

It is by no means the law that you pursue a hygiene certificate for selling sweets. However, taking part in one will ensure you have up-to-date knowledge of all relevant legislation. Good food hygiene is a huge must when it comes to selling food from home. Even if you are solely selling wrapped sweets you are still storing and handling these foods directly.

Which Food Hygiene Certificate Do I Need For Selling Sweets?

It is advised that sweet businesses acquire a Level 2 Food Hygiene Certificate in retail before they open to the public. This is because you are handling and distributing food, even if it is pre-packaged. Working from your own selling confectionery comes with responsibilities and you need a fair understanding of these.

Level 2 Food Hygiene For Retail

A Level 2 in food hygiene will cover the following:

  • Food Safety Law.
  • How to prepare food safely.
  • Food risks and how to manage these.
  • How to store food safely.
  • The 14 Food Allergens.
  • Importance of personal hygiene.
  • Keeping food premises clean and safe.
  • Understanding use-by dates.
  • Stock control.

Other Food Training Courses to Consider

It can be really beneficial to do a few courses to further your knowledge. Businesses thrive on a good reputation, so why not show your potential customers how seriously you take it? Below are some of the other food training courses you may want to consider.

Food Allergen Awareness Training

It is imperative to have some knowledge of food allergens when you are selling food to the public. From time to time, your customers may well ask for this information so having it on hand is important. It will also help you understand how to label food when necessary.

Food Labelling Regulations Training Course

This course will be useful so that you can understand how to correctly label your sweets before selling them. Customers need to be able to make informed decisions about products so it is important to be transparent.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *